Waht causes hives and rash in morning after taking ibuprofen for abnominal pain?

Jan 2014

wake up with hives in the morning and a rash. I don't have it during the day time. I have had it off and on for a month now! I don't know what is causing it, also last night I had severe sharp pains in upper abdomen after I took ibuprofen it stopped the pain. I have had this before only wakes me up at night? I have been doing some strenuous exercise lifting hay bales and feeding horses. But I have done this for ten years. I have dogs and cats but I have never been allergic to anything before, I have occasional sinus trouble , I take for anxiety colopin, Zoloft and antenol for high blood pressure, I have taken Klonopin and Zoloft for about 20 years and antenol for about 2 years blood pressure is normal. I do not drink or smoke
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Drug Induced urticaria Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of drug induced urticaria possibility due to ibuprofen. Urticaria OR hives can occur due to various causes like(to name a few): --Infections(bacterial , viral, fungal) -Drugs(NSAIDS) -Certain foods -Cold temperature -Cholinergic Urticaris:in response to strong emotions, exercise -Physical Urticaria: dermographism, pressure (prolonged standing, sitting) -In autoimmune disorders like SLE, RA etc. -A few cases have no underlying cause and are known as idiopathic urticaria. As a treating doctor i would have advice you to get few basic lab tests like Hemogram, stool for ova/cyst, Urine routine, Chest Xray. An oral antihistamine like Fexofenadine OR Loratadine once or twice daily for a week would be suitable. They are non-sedating and wont affect your alertness level. a topical soothing lotion like calamine would help you symptomatically. If your Urticaria still does'nt get better you might require a short course of oral steroids. take care