Vomiting,blood in vomit,nosebleed,dizziness

ENT Specialist
Last night I suddenly felt very sick and then vomited three times. The last time I vomited there was quite a bit of blood in it, but I think that it might have been due to a possible nose bleed at the same time. I also felt very dizzy at the same time. Two weeks ago I felt very similar. I had really bad virtigo and could not get out of bed as I was so dizzy, even bumping into walls. I also felt very sick at the time. I don't know if this is related.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

With this brief history it is indeed difficult to analyze the cause of your problem. A few more details are required to arrive at a diagnosis.
1. Do you suffer with gastritis or acid reflux disease?
2. Is there any reduced hearing, noise in the ear during the episode of dizziness?
3. Did you get your blood pressure checked after the episode of dizziness?
4. Was complete blood examination done in the recent past? if yes, please state the reports.
5. Are you sure the sinus type of headache is because of sinusitis only, has it been confirmed?

Please reply to the above questions as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting for your reply.
Follow-up: Vomiting,blood in vomit,nosebleed,dizziness 2 hours later
Thank you for replying. Here are the details required by number.

1. No, I don't suffer with gastritis or acid reflux disease. I do have Rectocele, which I have felt it might have been making my stomach feel uncomfortable recently. I don't know if this is because my bowels are not fully empty all of the time.
2. I don't think I had any reduced hearing etc. in the episode of dizziness, I felt too blurry at the time to remember.
3. No, I didn't have my blood pressure checked after dizziness. I normally have low blood pressure, but a couple of times in the past 6 months I have had high blood pressure. I have other minor symptoms which I think may be due to my anxiety or medication. I often start to fall asleep when driving if longer than 15 minutes. I also don't always feel fully aware when driving, a bit like in a dream.
4. In the past I have had blood tests because I have had chest pains and facial sweats. This has been going on for the past few years. I think all of the blod results came back normal. I had an ECG to do with the chest pains, it was shown as slightly irregular so I went to see a specialist. He said I was too young to have any problems with my heart so he didn't do any tests.

5. My sinus headaches haven't been confirmed. I just assumed it was it was sinus headaches as my headaches felt different and I had mucus at the time and didn't feel well. My headaches have changed from when I had my terrible migrains, they just feel different. In the recent months I had a terrible headache with sharp shooting pains like daggers into my head. It luckily didn't last as long as my headaches normally do.

I still feel mildly dizzy today and weak.

Thank you so much for your help. I was more concerned about the blood in my vomit than anything else. Thank you.
Follow-up: Vomiting,blood in vomit,nosebleed,dizziness 39 minutes later
With regards to my Sinus headaches, I do also have pressure at the time of the headaches around my left eye. I did have this with my migrains, but because my headaches seem to have changed I just thought that it wasn't migrains anymore.

I also have been mildly dizzy on and off in the past couple of years and the doctors said it was my low blood pressure or could have been my medication. I don't know if this helps. Thanks again.
Follow-up: Vomiting,blood in vomit,nosebleed,dizziness 19 minutes later
I also remember that when I gave birth to my 4th child who is now 2 and a half, when the doctor was sowing me up she said that I had a large cyst, but nothing was ever done about it. I sometimes wonder if that is o.k.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

Welcome back

Thank you for your detailed history, it is indeed very helpful in making a provisional diagnosis.

Firstly, many of the symptoms you have mentioned such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and drowsiness could be related to the medicine (Propranolol) you are taking ( WWW.WWWW.WW . The sudden bout of unprovoked vomiting could be either due to irritation of food taken or dizziness.

The beta blocker being used for migraine can also reduce your blood pressure and in turn lead to dizziness and dizziness causes nausea and sometimes vomiting. The drowsiness you come across while driving the vehicle can also be attributed to this. And, regarding the description mentioned about the sinus type of headache, it appears to be migraine only.

To sum it up, the symptoms you are experiencing could be because of the medicine Propranolol. You need to consult your neurologist and request to change the medicines for you. One more thing, you need to remember is, there is no cure for migraine and only certain preventive measures can rid of you from this problem.

The preventive measures for migraine are:
     Drink plenty of water, so that it keeps the tissues hydrated
     Take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, as they are the natural source of vitamins
     Everyday have food at the same time, do not skip your meals
     Do exercises every day, so that it keeps your body and mind healthy
     Sleep for at least 7hours a day and it should be a continuous sleep
     Avoid stress
     Avoid caffeine/cheese/carbonated drinks/chocolates and ice creams

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon