Vomiting with blood, pain in upper quadrant after drinking alcohol. Does it require immediate attention?

Hi, I am a 32 y/o female who has drank moderatly for about 15 years. In saying that I am a binge drinker; nothing during the week then a big night on the weekend. After not drinking for a few weeks I went out Saturday night and woke up sunday morning throwing up. I dry heaved for awhile then spit up some blood. Now I feel like I have dull aching pain in my right upper quadrant but am also not sure if it is psychological due to "googling" sympoms. Does this warrent immediate attention or can I just make an appointment with my doctor for a checkup? (I have not vomited again since then, 34 hours ago)
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I think it would be fine if you visit your physician for a regular checkup as in all probability we are not looking at an emergency. There are two possibilities that exist:
a. Gastritis or peptic ulcer- A condition which arises due to irritation of the lining of the stomach. Alcohol is a common irritant. This is the more likely possibility and this can explain the pain in the right quadrant as well.
b. Tear of the esophagus (food pipe) which can occur in people who have severe vomiting.

As of now, I would suggest the following:
a. Eat small meals every 3-4 hours
b. Drink plenty of fluids
c. Take Tablet Prevacid 20 once daily one hour before breakfast for 5-7 days
d. Avoid fatty, spicy foods for the time being.
e. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
f. Avoid caffeine, tea, coffee, carbonated beverages.

However, in case of severe pain abdomen, abdominal distension, fever, racing pulse, blood in vomitus or black stools, please visit the emergency room immediately.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further queries, I will be happy to answer them for you.

Get well soon. Have a great day.
Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan