Vomiting, weight loss, no heart burn. Is it esophageal cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
esophageal cancer or not
hello doctor

i am a 31 year old male and i have been eating and vomiting food for weight loss occasionally for the last 4 years ( i do it occasionally when i eat too much)

i know its a bad habit and i have stopped it now

but sometimes now when i eat too much food or drink too much juice or water with food i see backward movement of food in my mouth but this happens occasionally.

i don't have any heart burn or blood in vomit or any other symptom its just backward food movement.

now is my symptom of backward movement of food a sign of esophageal cancer ?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 21 hours later

The problem which you have raised is not a sign of cancer by any way.

Due to recurrent manual induction of vomiting the protective mechanism or sphincter (lower esophageal) has become dysfunctional. I would suggest the following

1. Stop the habit of inducing vomiting
2. Drink plenty of fluids after every meal.
3. A medication called perinorm (Metoclopromide) may be started as this will increase the tone of the sphincter.
4. Antacids to prevent esophagitis.

If the above advice does not help then you may seek advice for a diagnostic scopy.

With Regards