Vomiting sensation, fainting while climbing stairs, unable to walk / stand long, breathlessness

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
I have vomiting tendency. Can't stand/walk for long. Start panting while climbing stairs. I feel uneasiness and breathlessness.
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

The possible causes for your symptoms are,
1. Anemia: you didn't mention any details about your general condition.
According to your symptoms anemia can be one possibility, which is the most common blood disorder. If the hemoglobin level in non pregnant women is less than 12gm/dl, anemia can be diagnosed.
In anemia as oxygen carrying capacity of the blood decreases the symptoms like weakness, panting or breathlessness while doing any work can be seen.
To rule out this you have to get your Hb done under guidance of physician if needed go for complete blood picture.
2. Vertigo: It occurs due to asymmetric dysfunction of vestibular system located in inner ear. Symptoms seen are nausea, vomiting, difficulty in standing or walking etc.
3. You didn't mention your marital status, these symptoms can be seen in pregnancy. So, if that possibility is there go for pregnancy test.
4. Continuous working on computers also can lead to nausea and dizziness so that standing or walking will become difficult. It can also be seen in cervical spondylitis, but according to your age it is rare possibility. Anxiety and stress can also lead to above features sometimes.
5. Underlying heart disease is one possibility but that is rare, don't worry about it.
Now what you have to do is visit local physician and undergo general examination along with blood tests, if some abnormality like anemia detected in that you can be treated if not he will refer you to some other related specialty like ENT for vertigo.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please close the discussion and rate it.

Follow-up: Vomiting sensation, fainting while climbing stairs, unable to walk / stand long, breathlessness 9 hours later
Thanks for your information Doctor. I would like to let you know that I am still single and I am not suffering from anemia. My Haemoglobin is 14.1 which has increased in past one year. Last year I had Haemoglobin between 12 - 12.5. I am not taking any dietry supplementary. However, I am attaching all my recent test reports for your reference.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Sorry I am not able to find your reports, to attach them you can upload images / reports on the portal along with the question. If you are unable to upload them there, you can email the same to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line.
Your hemoglobin is within normal range.
As the possibilities of anemia or pregnancy are not there, then the other possible causes from the list to be ruled out.
You didn't mention about your profession as I told these symptoms can occur in people who work continuously on computer like software professionals.
Anyhow better once visit local physician and get examined to rule out other possibilities.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please accept it.
take care

Follow-up: Vomiting sensation, fainting while climbing stairs, unable to walk / stand long, breathlessness 49 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

I have sent my reports at YYYY@YYYY . As you asked for my profession, I would like to let you know that I am working as Assistant Manager in a Private University. And, you are very well aware that these days, nothing can be done without computers. So, I spend at least 8 - 10 hours daily on laptop.

Thanks.

Hi XXXXXXX,
I saw your reports according to them we can add one more possibility for your symptoms that is,
erythrocytosis due to renal concretions, your doctor might have told you about it.
Because of renal concretions the blood supply to it will decrease leading to increased production of erythropoietin which will lead to high red blood cells.
Sometimes people with high red blood cells can present with features like fatigue, dizziness, head ache, in case of embolism breathlessness like features can occur.
This is not to frighten you I am just telling that this could be one possibility.
Your profession may also be the cause, try to take at least 5 to 10 min gap after 1 hour work. You should consciously look far at a distant object once in 10 minutes to rest your eyes. Use lubricant drops like ADD TEARS / REFRESH one drop in each eye.
You discuss with your doctor all these possibilities as I told before including erythrocytosis and get treated according to his decision.
take care