Vomiting, mucus in stool, irritating & painful rectum, loose motion, abdominal pain, appetite loss, prescribed bacigyl N syrup and Taxim O Forte. Suggestion?

Question
My grand daughter is vomiting with mucous type of stool which when is out the rectum is becoming irritating and painful. The physician suggested Bacigyl N syrup. Whether it is effective?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Follow-up: Vomiting, mucus in stool, irritating & painful rectum, loose motion, abdominal pain, appetite loss, prescribed bacigyl N syrup and Taxim O Forte. Suggestion? 11 minutes later
My grand daughter is four year of age. for last three days she was suffering from loose motion, abdominal pain, irritation and burning sensation at bowel track. She lost her appetite. If she has taken something she at once starts vomiting. The Physician suggested Bacigyl N syrup and Taxim O Forte, She was also running slight high temperature. Pl. Suggest.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 36 minutes later
Hi Mr. XXXXXXX

From the description it seems that she is having some stomach infection which may be either food borne or water borne. This could be due to some viral infection also, which are rampant in this season.

The medicine given by your doctor is fine. The drug bacigyl n is an antibiotic which will help in controlling loose stools. For vomiting you need to give her anti emetic drugs if the frequency is more.

In mean time please give her plenty of liquids to drink in small quantity at a time. Give her light diet like dal-rice, curd rice, butter milk etc.

Please make sure that she takes something all the day.

Please watch for decreases in urine frequency, fever, dullness which indicates dehydration in that case you need to speak to your doctor.

Other wish she should be fine in couple of days.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

Dr.pragnesh

Follow-up: Vomiting, mucus in stool, irritating & painful rectum, loose motion, abdominal pain, appetite loss, prescribed bacigyl N syrup and Taxim O Forte. Suggestion? 17 hours later
pl.send me he diet chart which may help her to avoid such type of infection. Secondly if the stomach infection is viral how can I diagnose through symptomology.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later

Hello again,

Good to hear from you again.

Diet chart are less significant in preventing infection especially in pediatric age group patients such as your granddaughter.

Infections are commonly acquired by
1. Contaminated water
2. Food eaten outside or that is not properly cooked
3. Poor hand and personal hygiene.

It is essential to take care of these factors to prevent infections.

Symptomatology of viral and bacterial is almost same. I have mentioned a few here:
1. In case of viral, patient can have mild fever, weakness, dullness, etc. Other children's in the vicinity may be infected and there is some seasonal increase in the incidence.
2. In case of bacterial infection, the fever is high grade, symptoms are more severe and usually history of some source of infection is present.

Most of the viral infections are self limiting. While bacterial infections need medical attention.
It is ideal to consult a doctor in times of infection to rule out specific bacterial infections.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish her a speedy recovery,

Dr.Pragnesh