Vomiting, fever, loss of appetite. Had taken antibiotics for strep throat. Is it a relapse?

My child had strep throat with a 10 treatment course of antibiotics two weeks ago. Now, two weeks later, he started vomited for one day, the next day a fever of a 103.5 for one day. Today, he is weak(has not left his bed), no appetitie and complains of no taste in his mouth. He has been taking in fluids consistently for past 5 hours and has no temp and has not vomited. Should I take him to the emergency room? Has he had a strep throat relapse?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will provide you with some good information and reendations here.

It is possible he has a recurrence of strep but I would expect a persistent fever in that case. You are doing everything correctly as far as supportive measures go.

I have a few criteria for you to look at before taking him to the ER. I would bring him in if the fever returns and is above 101 F, if his sluggishness does not improve or if he is not able to keep liquids down without vomiting.

It is critical that he remain well hydrated. I suggest Pedialyte or Gatorade as good hydration fluids. Keep the diet bland - bread, rice, applesauce and toast are core foods for this.

I think right now it's ok to keep watch of him at home but if things change or progress I would advise taking him in to be seen. He may have just been exposed to a virus in which case his body should recover within 48-72 hours.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga