Vomiting, diarrhea and red painful itchy rashes all over body. Underlying cause?

Jan 2013

I had suffered a very bad hangover with vomiting and diarrhea yesterday. I couldn't keep water down for awhile. I then developed a bumpy red painful itchy rash, nearly all over my body. I thought perhaps it was dryer sheets and laundry detergent I'm reacting too, but now wondering if a bad hangover could cause this rash. I do get rashes, on my torso and neck, when I'm battling a virus.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, Welcome to Health care magic forum.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there appears to be high possibility of acute viral gastroenteritis.

Presence of red rash throughout the body, vomiting and diarrhoea suggest the diagnosis.

As such there appears to be least correlation between red rash and use of detergent.

Detergent may cause contact dermatitis in the exposed area , , not in whole body.

Viral gastroenteritis with rash may persist for coming 3-5 days and self remitting in nature.

Weakness could be due to loss of potassium in diarrhoea and vomiting.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and dermatologist simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.

You should go for complete hemogram, serum electrolytes, renal function test.

If I'm your treating physician then I would like to suggest you to take plenty of potassium XXXXXXX liquid, banana, and coconut water.

You should also take a short course of antibiotics, antispasmodic, antiemetics and probiotics.

Take soft diet with yogurt.

Avoid milk and milk related products such as cheese, butter, condensed milk.

Take care,
Let me know your other query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava