Vomiting, dark diarrhea, body ache and fatigue. Need to go to doctor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband came home from work not feeling so hot. He is very tiered, achey, has vomited once and having diarrhea. Should he see a doctor? His diarrhea is very dark in color.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
From your description it seems that your husband is having a bout of minor intestinal infection. It can be viral or bacterial in nature. Most of the times such infections are self limiting.
1. He can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
Medicines such as loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) can help relieve symptoms but should be taken under medical supervision.
Do give him probiotics like Sporolac sachets in water twice a day. Also take B complex capsules like Becosule twice a day. In addition make him drink sufficient fluids and consider yoghurt, buttermilk, fruit juices, tender coconut water in his diet.

If the symptoms do not improve and other symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, worsening of weight, darkening of stools, fever, etc. occur he may need to review with his primary healthcare provider to rule out other infections like C. difficile (clostridium difficile).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.