Vomiting brown liquid, lost weight. Has hiatic hernia. Are these symptoms of dementia ?

My Mother is 80 today and she has been vomiting brown vomit on and off for the past month
she is loosing weight notably over the past 5 months but I am thinking its due to my dad passing away.. I know she is not eating right. she is scared of eating in case this projectile vomit comes up she seems to be getting more confused over the past 5 months as well she has pains in her legs at the top and severe lethargy She takes pantaloc as of recent but that does not help with the hearburn she does have a hiatic hernia .. but I am wondering if there may be a gastro bleed or if this is a cancer the does get pain on occasion on the left side of the stomach area .. I can see symptoms of dementia and I am wondering if she has had a vascular attack she just is going down ... over the last 5 months quite quickly suffers nausea allot ...
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
A brown colored vomiting is indicative of gastric bleed. It could be due to a gastric ulcer or hepatic cause. She needs a thorough evaluation and tests like endoscopy by a gastroenterologist for proper diagnosis. Treatment will depend on the cause.
The weight loss she is having is also related to her problem of brown vomiting.
Please do not delay. She needs a medical attention to stop the gastric bleeding as soon as possible.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.