Ask a Urologist   »  

Vomiting, back pain, frequent urination and sore kidneys. Cramping pain after taking antibiotics. Is it a kidney infection?

I recently had a kidney infection that was causing me to vomit after eating and having lower back pain and sore kidneys... i have had 2 of these before so i knew what it was. I treated this with anitbiotics and the kidney pain and lower back pain went away. however ever since i finished the biotics i have constant "period pain" type cramping/mild dull pain (just general feeling of being there) I also feel nauses most of the time and ive thrown up about 4 times in the last 2 weeks ..2 times at about 430 am the other 2 where after meals or smoke...but dryreach everyday?? still urinate more then normal. and have little bouts of lower back pain but feels diffrent from the kidney infection type?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 55 minutes later

It looks like you are still suffering from a cystitis that is infection of the urinary bladder. This infection is causing you to urinate more frequently and also have the lower abdominal pain.

Please follow these advises.

1. Drink plenty of water, minimum of 4 litres a day.
2. Drink cranberry juice. This will help reduce the pain.
3. Urinate after intercourse and also follow general personal hygiene.
4. You will have to XXXXXXX a physician for a pelvic scan and also urine routine and culture. You will need another course of antibiotics which is to be taken for a minimum of 15 days.
5. It is not unusual to develop cystitis in a person with a pyelonephritis (infection of the kidney), and it also more common in women because of a small urethra.

Please do not ignore your symptoms as this might lead to complications like re infection of the kidneys and in worse cases failure of the kidney.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish you a speedy recovery.