Vomiting after eating noodles. Can you please suggest what kind of action to take?

My son is vomiting since evening. He ate some noodles and swallowed them as is. Then he vomited after sometime. After that in one hour he vomited again. We were ok, since we saw some noodles in the vomit. After that he didnt eat anything. But 15 minutes back he drank some water and vomited again. This time it was all water. Can you please suggest what kind of action shall we take.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Most probably he had some gastritis due to noodle. This would settle by itself. Antiemetic (for voming) is needed only if symptoms persist. Other possibilities are infection and very, very rarely a gastrointestinal obstruction.

So please go to your physician or any hospital/nursing home if vomiting persists. He may need a battery of test to include straight abdominal X-ray, routine blood investigations and an upper G.I endoscopy to rule out other causes.

In the meantime follow the below advice-
1. Give only fluid, never give solid food.
2. If stool not passed properly then add laxatives.
3. Check vitals regularly
4. You can add liquid antacid or proton pump inhibitor granule if he complaints of abdominal pain.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly