Vocal cord polyps, several scabs on face, shin. Due to crystal meth use ?

ENT Specialist
Can a person develop vocal cord polyps from crystal
meth use?
This person now has 2 marble sized polyps on his 2 vocal cords, has evidence of face-picking - several scabs, a large scab on shim which will not heal (several months now). Can meth have caused these polyps? He also is a smoker.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The outward signs are known as meth mouth; damage from chronic crystal meth use.

2. The vocal polyps may have arisen from chronic irritation and inflammation from crystal meth fumes, and in part to earlier cocaine and heroin use. If these vocal polyps are situated at the junction of the anterior third and posterior two-thirds of the vocal cord, then they may also turn out to be vocal nodules or singer's nodules which arise due to voice abuse.

3. Discontinuation of the crystal meth is unlikely to heal them at this stage, and in view of the history of smoking, it is advisable to have a videoloaryngoscopy and stroboscopy done.

4. I hope that there is a history of medical examination, because the arytenoid processes may also look like growths. Are the polyps symmetrical or unequal in size?
Marble sized polyps are considerably large and warrant urgent examination and treatment. Medical treatment may not reduce such large polyps.

5. The polyps can be excised by microlaryngoscopy and the biopsy or entire polyp sent for histopathological examination.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.