Visual disturbance, headache. Taken Dicorate. Should I continue the same medicine?

Nov 2013

I experience visual disturbances followed by massive headaches. The doctor prescribed Dicorate ER 250.
For the past one year I have stopped the medication, and was free from attacks but now it has reoccurred.
Should I continue the same medicine? How long should i take it.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
You are suffering from MIGRAINE with VISUAL XXXXXXX This condition requires preventive medications. Dicorate ER (Divalproex ER) is a good medicine for preventing migraine attacks. In most conditions, migraine is a chronic illness and long-term medications are required. However, if you do not get any attacks for three months, you may stop the medications.
In addition to medicines, you should avoid any factors that trigger the migraine attacks. These triggers may include fasting, delayed meals, decreased night sleep, strong smells, sunlight exposure, long road journeys, certain food stuffs (caffeine, chinese food, cakes, chocolates, etc).
Please get back if you require any more information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad