Visible raised veins on the legs of a 9 year old. Normal?

My 9 year old daughter has visible raised veins on the back of her calfs. She is very healthy eater and is extremely fit. What could cause this at such a young age??
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 44 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Let me clarify this right away that all visible veins in the legs need not always be varicose veins otherwise called spider veins and spider veins are almost always seen in adulthood

Some of the common causes for visie veins are
1. Malnourished or Thin built people
2. In Athletes where veins become bigger because of increased circulation
3 anemia
4. Thin skin
5. Hyperthyroid disorders
6. Sudden weight loss

Please XXXXXXX a vascular specialist in case she has symptoms like fever, pain, disoclouration around the visible vein for a doppler study

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no follow up queries please accept my answer

I wish you and your daughter good health

Follow-up: Visible raised veins on the legs of a 9 year old. Normal? 2 days later
will they go away or will they always be protruding? just to clarify, is this something to be concerned about and should we see a physician about it??
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 35 minutes later

Thanks for reverting.

You need not be concerned about the veins unless until it is causing discoloration of the skin itself or causing ulcers at that place, a scenario which is very unlikely in your child.

If your child has any complaints related to the veins, please XXXXXXX either a general surgeon or a vascular surgeon for this issue.

Visible veins do tend to go away as one grows older and puts on a little weight.
It would be best if you could click a picture of the veins and upload it on “ Upload reports” section on the right.