Viscous fluid from parotid gland, swollen cheeks, dry mouth. Normal ESR, WBC, HIV negative. Reasons for these ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have a normal esr blood test-white blood cell count is past limit-hiv test negative-ana test not done yet-i have viscous fluid coming out of parotid gland-i am a 52 year old male-i have dry mouth basically at night-i had magnesium citrate for a colonoscopy 2 months ago and my cheek swoll up quite a bit now its back down to normal-what could all this indicate? (normal saliva out of other parotid) negative mri neck with copd and cholesterol calcium deeposit history
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
A viscous fluid coming out of parotid can be due to a parotid gland infection or partial blackage of the parotid duct. The other causes that need to be ruled out include-
* Infection in your mouth
* Medications, such as clozapine, isoproterenol, pilocarpine and reserpine
* Stomatitis (an inflammation of mucous membranes in your mouth)
* Acute sinusitis
* Allergies
* Chronic sinusitis
You need to consult a dentist to rule out all the organic causes. If none of these causes are found then psychological reasons need to be considered.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Viscous fluid from parotid gland, swollen cheeks, dry mouth. Normal ESR, WBC, HIV negative. Reasons for these ? 6 hours later
thank you doctor that is a satisfactory answer but what do you mean by psychological reasons? could you cite an example?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Psychological reasons refer to the thoughts of having food or the sight and smell of the food. These are considered when all other organic causes have been ruled out.
Hope this answer is helpful.
Do accept the answer in case there are no follow up queries.