Virgin and not married. Periods before time. Brown discharge after periods with cramps. Is it serious?

Mar 2016

I am till a virgin and not married.I never had any sex and my age is 27yrs but my period started 2 days before my usual timing and then it stopped after 3 days then again on 4th day it started with light brown discharge along with cramp.However it is only a light brown spotting.please suggest what is the problem i am realy tensed.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 47 minutes later

First of all, 1-7 days period date alteration is normal thing and cycle in between 21-35 days is also considered as normal phenomena. As you are virgin and not involved in any kind of sexual activity, then implantation bleeding is ruled out.

Brown vaginal discharge after period is mostly associated with old blood or endometrial tissue which may be co-existed by hormonal imbalance, stress/ anxiety, thyroid disorder, irregular diet habit, psychological factor, vaginal infection etc.

Here, you may need to undergo some investigations like Day-21 progesterone assay, blood sugar, vaginal swab test etc to confirm the diagnosis.

If irregular spotting continues in the next cycle, then one pelvic ultrasound scan and complete hormone assay including thyroid profile may be needed after consultation with gynecologist. Proper treatment depends on underlying factors.

Do the following things that can help you:

1) Take healthy diet and drink more water/ juice, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/ deep breathing regularly.
4) Maintain genital hygiene & take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Virgin and not married. Periods before time. Brown discharge after periods with cramps. Is it serious? 22 hours later
As mentioned above i am not under any mental stress but i am not sure about other factors.However,just wants to be sure is this symptom could be a indication to early menopause.Is it possible at my age?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 45 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

First of all, you should not be worried as above clinical presentation may be caused by any one factors that I have described earlier. If irregular spotting continues in the next cycle, then you need to undergo some investigation after consultation with gynecologist. Otherwise everything will be O.K & you should follow a healthy life style.

In this age group, early menopause is quite impossible and your clinical feature does not correspond with that. So, you have nothing to worry regarding this.

Hope, I have cleared your all doubts. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen