Vibrations in the right side of face. Done ultrasound, normal. Difficulty in sleeping. What can be the cause?

Question
About a year ago I started having vibrating sensations in the right side if my face, I looked in the mirror and my face wasn't twitching or showing any sign of the sensation even happening, but I could feel it right beneath or in the muscle. I went to see a neurologist and they did some test on me. He thought the sensation may be caused by my carotid artery? So he had an ultrasound done on my neck. I talked to the nurse doing the ultra sound and she told me that as far as she could tell, nothing was wrong with my arteries in my neck. And then shortly after that the sesations started getting worse. To the point where it's very hard to sleep at night. They are not only in my right side of my face, but in the back and top of my skull too. It's getting scary, and i can't get in to see my doc until july 3 Could you give me some insight?
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later

The symptoms you mention appear to be due to the compression of the nerves supplying the face.

Facial nerve (7th cranial nerve) is the one commonly involved in such conditions presenting as you are.But since you also complain of the numbness being in the back and top of the head then the chances of facial nerve alone involved are less.

The symptoms and the distribution of it as explained by you could either be due to generalised weakness in the nerves due to head and neck or due to any compressing mass inside the brain.

Deficiency of Vit B12 can be easily treated with vitamin supplement.

You may need a MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) to rule out intra-cranial masses.Do discuss about the same with your treating doctor as he can examine you and assess the need for a scan.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 minutes later

The numbness you have in the face could be due to affection in the nerves supplying the face.

Such presentation is commonly seen with compression of damage of facial (7th cranial nerve).Since you complain of the back and top of the head being involved the chances of facial nerve alone involved are less.

The symptoms and its distribution in you could be either due to generalised nerve weakness due to head and neck or could be due to any mass in the brain compressing multiple cranial nerves.

If it is due to vitamin deficiency, taking Vit B12 supplement will cure the condition.

Do discuss about the same with your treating doctor who after examining you can asses the need for the scan to rule out intra cranial mass.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

regards,

Follow-up: Vibrations in the right side of face. Done ultrasound, normal. Difficulty in sleeping. What can be the cause? 13 hours later
It's not a numb feeling. It's more like a vibrating pulsating feeling in both my skull and my right cheek. I went to a chiropractor yesterday and It's wasn't as severe when I went to bed last night. Don't know if I mentioned it, but It acts up worse at night when I lay down to go to sleep. I have aslo recently felt this weird electric shock feeling run from the begining of my ear accros my right cheek towards my nose. And every once and a while I feel it travel down my spine too.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later
Hi again,

I did consider your symptom as a Paraesthesia which involves a set of abnormal symptoms you explained.

I am sure this is due to affection in the Cranial nerves.Another condition can Trigeminal Neuralgia should also be considered in the differential diagnosis.Do follow my advice as in my previous post.

Do get examined by a neurologist who can easily rule out so said conditions after examining you , discuss the above mentioned conditions with him.

Wish you good health.