Vet, handled a dog, rabies, didnt touch saliva, blood and not bitten. Vaccination required ?

General Surgeon
hi,I am a vet.Yesterday i handled a dog suspected for rabies.Though I didnt touch his saliva,blood or was bitten by it.Should I got for post-exposure vaccination with Vaxirab?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Vet, handled a dog, rabies, didnt touch saliva, blood and not bitten. Vaccination required ? 5 minutes later
After how many days have lapsed post bite should I feel safe from rabies?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 21 minutes later

Handling a suspected rabies dog however careful, may can some time cause exposure to the virus. Although you have not touched saliva or blood and not bitten by the dog.

After 10 days of constant vigilance one is free from tension of rabies, as virus incubation period is 10 days.

There is no harm in taking the vaccination as it is going to prevent future tension of rabies.

So complete course of post exposure vaccination is advised.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.