Very light period and cramping. Extremely fatigued and on emotional roll coaster. Had periods with medication. What could it be?

Mar 2016

My period is about a week late. I took a prenancy test and it was negative. Last month I had a very light period, like heavy spotting - not a full on period. I am cramping now, I have a headache, I've been extremely fatigued and some what of an emotional roller coaster. My hormones have been irregular since my son was born in 2006. Once before I had to take medicine to force my period. Do you think this is what it could be again?
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

First of all, you must exclude possible conception by undergoing one blood test for beta-hCG if you don't get your period within few days. Early home pregnancy test is less significant.

Other reasons of irregular late period are Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), mental stress, hormonal imbalance, pelvic or vaginal infection, over weight, high prolactin level, certain medication, improper diet etc.

Here, you need to undergo some additional investigations after exclusion of the pregnancy. These include pelvic ultrasound scan, thyroid profile, progesterone level, prolactin & blood sugar test etc. These will help to pinpoint the diagnosis.

In this circumstance, I suggest to consult with your gynecologist for clinical examination and proper guidance of above mentioned investigations.

Complete treatment depends on the diagnosis of the case. You may require hormonal medication and other supportive therapy according to test reports. They are quite necessary to induce and regularize period.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through