Very high BP, heavy smoker. Been through stress. Should I be seeking medical assistance?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Iam a 40 year old female w/ a history of high B/P, Im also a smoker & Im very well aware of the increased risk that smoking adds to hypertension and cardiovascular disease. With this being said I have been monitoring my b/p all day and I have never seen the numbers quite so high. The last reading was 189/110(189, systolic 110, diastolic) and the lowest it has gotten down to today 154/103. I have been under stress latley, my brother is very ill, and just the everyday stresses of life but this should not make my b/p sky rocket like this right? When should I seek medical attention for my b/p, is there a certain number that is a danger zone?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Do you get chest pain, headache, and vision disturbance?

Do you feel you passing enough urine daily or is there any reduction in urine output?

Your blood pressure measurement is very high. At these uncontrolled levels, you are at risk for end organ damage like damage to heart, kidney, and eyes.

Normal blood pressure is up to 120mmHg over 80mmHg. Your blood pressure requires aggressive management to prevent end organ damage.

Control your diet strictly. Avoid fatty, salty diet, junk food. Keep well hydrated. Eat fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. They help to reduce blood pressure, cholesterol. Do daily moderate exercise to improve health. Do Yoga to reduce stress as well.

This definitely requires aggressive management. Also, clinical examination to rule out damage to brain, eyes, and kidney along with required laboratory investigations.

Kindly consult your Physician immediately as you probably have a risk of stroke, heart attack if you don't get medical care now.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Very high BP, heavy smoker. Been through stress. Should I be seeking medical assistance? 13 hours later
I Did have a headache & vision problems. I associated the vision problems to the headache. Im keeping well hydrated and eating well. I guess my main question is should I wait until Monday to see my Cardio Dr. or family Dr. or should I go to a urgent care facility this weekend? I wasnt sure if a urgent care dr. would do anything about my situation? I want to do the best possible thing for my health, Im just not sure what that is, in regards to waiting until monday or going this weekend?
Thank you so very much for your response and your help. Much Thanks, Cindie D
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 minutes later
Hi Cindie.

If you are having acute problems like sudden vision deterioration, sudden weakness of any part of the body etc. it would be wise to go to Emergency Room immediately.

If no acute complaints, you can show your Doctor as soon as possible. If you are not able to tolerate existing problems, kindly consult Emergency Medicine physician immediately.

Wishing good health.