Very high BP, exhausted, non smoker, regular exercise. Suggest.

Hi, my blood pressure readings have been coming out at 173 over 91 and im constantly exhausted yet i get a good nights rest, im 31, non smoker, dont drink caffiene, dont use salt or sugar, exercise regularly and would consider myself to be fit, should i be concerned?a
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

'PRIMARY HYPERTENSION' is high blood pressure without any obvious cause. It is supposed to be genetic in origin compounded by environmental factors. I hope you are not obese as you have not mentioned your height and weight.

A few more tests are recommended in you. They include Complete Lipid Profile to rule out dyslipidemia; Renal Doppler for checking for renal stenosis ; Stress Treadmill Test; Echocardiography to rule out any structural problem of heart and so on. You could get these test done under guidance of a physician / cardiologist.

Since the values are beyond normal, you may need to start on antihypertensive after consultation with your physician.

Prolonged high blood pressure leads to damages to different organs like heart, brain, retina, etc. Hence treat it appropriately and early.

Hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for follow-up.

Follow-up: Very high BP, exhausted, non smoker, regular exercise. Suggest. 21 hours later
thank you for your comprehensive reply. i don't think i''m obese, but that depends on the technical terms. i'm 179cm in height and weigh 13.5 stone. i'm a bit overweight, but i exercise an hour a day and have a vegetarian diet - can't seem to shift the extra few pounds. i can feel a slight tension on the right side of where my heart should be, feels like a XXXXXXX muscle strain, although it only appears when my blood pressure is high.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 2 hours later
Hi and Welcome back.

Your current weight is bit at a higher side for your height (your BMI is at 26.6). Accordingly you are categorized as overweight. Reducing that extra bit of weight will play a role in Blood pressure management.

Stress Tread Mill Test is very important to rule out heart issues.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health