Very fatigued and drowsy. Sleeping medications like Seroquel and ambien have no effect. Suggest?

Nov 2013

I'm very fatigued all the time. I have no energy all the time. When I wake up from sleeping I feel the same. Also, sleeping medications like Seroquel and ambien have no effect on me. I've been on 6 different this last year. I've taken a higher dosage and it still doesn't work. It doesn't even make me feel drowsy. What part of the brain would cause this, and what would be wrong with it?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 days later
Brief Answer:
Hypothalamus (part of brain) regulates sleep...

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Hypothalamus has the centre for sleep and wakefulness, and the other region of brain involved in maintaining sleep is pineal gland. Pineal gland produces a hormone called as melatonin, which causes sleep (normally produced between 9 and 11 pm, in darkness).
These two areas of brain can be studied well in a high quality MRI, such as 3.0 Tesla MRI.

I am sure your blood tests have included assessment of vitamin B12, vitamin D, hemoglobin and thyroid profiles, as deficiencies in these can also affect energy levels and can cause fatigue.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist