Vertigo when laying on back, dizziness. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am having increasing insidents of vertigo since laying on my back for a facial. In 2005 I had an acf levels 3-5. Now when I turn over in bed especially to my left I get dizzy....but when upon arising the dizziness lingers for some time. Ocasionally half a day. I am afraid to drive or got anywhere. What should I do. I have been to an orthopedic physician with no help, it wasn't my ears or neurological problems...then theynlet me go. Can unhelp? Had this problem a year or more ago. Itmeventuallymsubsuded bitnis now back since the facial where I laid on my back,
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
It seems that you are most probably suffering from benign positional paroxysmal vertigo ( BPPV)which can start suddenly and occur in episodes ( paroxysms). The neurological and ear examination in such cases are usually normal and for confirming the diagnosis one needs to be evaluated by a vestibular specialist who can carry out the hall pike or epplys test etc used for diagnosing vertigo .
If your doctor ( ENT or neurophysician ) have ruled out BPPV then you can undergo a cervical vertigo test by the vestibular specialist . Some chiropractors or physical therapists are also experienced to deal with such problems.
Since you are already seeing an orthopedist it would be better to discuss your problem frankly so that he can refer you to an appropriate specialist.
In case your doctors have already evaluated you for such condition do let me know your investigation reports.
Hope I have answered your query
Please feel free to ask any further queries.