Vein running under left breast to stomach, weight loss, lumps. Is it normal, advise?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i have a vein that is running down under my left breast to my that normal, i only felt and noticed it there yesterday....i have lost weight doing presonal training and now finding lump and bumps
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Normally the lateral thoracic vein continues below as thoracoepigastric vein. It travels linearly below the breast to the abdomen to join the superficial epigastric vein in the lowest border where the trunk joins the thigh. This can be seen in thin individual as it superficial and lies close to the skin.

It is quite possible that you have noticed it after losing weight because the loss of subcutaneous fat has made it to appear prominent. It's normal and you need not worry. However if it is painful, tender, swollen or there is redness , itching etc then its likely to be indicating an underlying problem like thrombophlebitis (inflamed vein) or obstruction to major vessels.

Regarding the lumps and bumps, it is not clear about the size, location and consistency of these bumps.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.