Vein in temple area is tender to touch. Should I be worried?

In the last few days I have a vein in my left temple that is very tender to the touch. If I massage it it goes away and no more pain but it keeps coming back. Is that anything to worry about?
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your question with diligence.
It is a cause for concern not for panic. Only conditions of some seriousness lead to this are:
1. Giant Cell Arteritis: If the feeling is that of pulsatile structure beneath your finger, then it is artery not vein you are feeling. It is almost always found in elderly males.
2. Migraine: Usually one sided other symptoms of headache may be there.
3. Tension headache, vision and tooth problems, most benign and treatable of all conditions.

If your work schedule is stressful, please try doing daily exercises (brisk walk in the park when whether permits or within a shopping mall for 40 minutes will be adequate) and get the junk thoughts from your mind. Taking a tablet of OTC Tylenol will help. If this does not do the trick please visit a doctor so that you can be thoroughly examined and diagnosis is established. Meanwhile, there is nothing to worry. The fact you get relief by massaging is reassuring to me.
If you have any more followup question, I will be only too happy to answer. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Medical Specialist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW