Vasovagal synchope, rectal cramp, fainting, low blood pressure, atenolol. Possibility of fainting due to beta blocker?

Question
I have vasovagal synchope and have learned to deal with it my entire life (I'm 53 and first fainted at age 4!) by avoiding the triggers (sight of blood, discussions about vascular things, etc) and trying to lie down immediately when faced with a trigger. I was driving with my daughter last week (having gone for a harder than usual run that morning and not taken in any fluids afterward) and got a sharp rectal cramp which triggered my fainting response . But I could not pull over in time and crashed the car. Miraculously, nobody was injured. But to avoid having my license suspended, my physician wants to be able to document that I am treating the condition. He has prescribed a very low dose of atenol. I am afraid to take this because my blood pressure is already quite low (90/60). Could the beta blocker itself trigger a fainting episode?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 55 minutes later

It is true that the treatment of vasovagal syncope which if usually prescribed is beta blockers like atenolol.

However beta blockers were once the most common medication given; now they have been shown to be ineffective in a variety of studies and are thus no longer prescribed.

Moreover vasovagal syncope causes a decrease in blood pressure and hence on taking antihypertensives may cause postural hypotension and hence dizziness and fainting.

In such a case, Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, such as paroxetine, fluoxetine and sertraline are also useful.

You can get these drugs prescribed from your general physician.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Vasovagal synchope, rectal cramp, fainting, low blood pressure, atenolol. Possibility of fainting due to beta blocker? 8 hours later
So given that my normal blood pressure is 90/60, are you recommending NOT to take betablockers? I have managed the fainting for 40 years by avoiding triggers, or lying down/preparing myself when i get the warning signals that i mY faint (dizziness, sweating, buzzing in ears) but occasionally a trigger happens too fast, like when I got the shooting pain while driving. Will drugs like paxil help and if so, how ?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If your blood pressure is 90/60 then it is not recommended to take beta blockers because it may cause further lowering of BP.

As mentioned above, in such a case drugs like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are useful (SSRI). Paxil is paroxetine which is a SSRI. Paroxetine has significant benefit in preventing vasovagal syncope. Two other SSRIs, fluoxetine and sertraline can also be used. You can get it prescribed only under your doctor's supervision. If fainting is involved, then lying down with elevation of the legs and removal of the offending stimulus will rapidly restore consciousness.

If there are no contraindications, a diet with more salt may be beneficial.