Vasectomy done, bruising along the groin. Taking poston forte. What is causing the pain?

hi had a vasectomy done on monday i have bruising all over including up along my left grion ,I am on poston forte for pain but i find it very hard to walk around and work is out of the question the pain is located around my left groin area and gets much worse when i stand up
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Bruising and pain can last upto 2 weeks following vasectomy. The intensity of pain and bruising gradually fades and disappears in this time.

Based on your query, this is the 5th day post procedure. If the intensity of pain is same or becomes worse in the next few days (say 7-10 days) when compared to the first day; it indicates either inflammation of epididymis or formation of sperm granuloma/ infection. In that case, consult your treating doctor for examination and further investigation.

Continue the same medicines as for now.
You can use an ice pack to prevent or reduce swelling.
Wear snug cotton briefs or an athletic supporter to help apply pressure against the procedure area and for support of the scrotum for the first week or two after the procedure.
Avoid heavy lifting or exercise for two weeks.

These general measures can reduce the pain. If the medications are not helping much, you may talk to your surgeon and start on a stronger analgesic such as tramadol (opioid analgesic).

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam
Follow-up: Vasectomy done, bruising along the groin. Taking poston forte. What is causing the pain? 4 hours later
the pain is only on left groin and is worse when i stand up ,no bruising or pain on right is this normal . When i get up after lying down pain is worse would this suggest infection, cant reach surgeon phone turned off

Thanks for writing in.

As you are having pain and bruising only on left groin; it is mostly suggestive of inflammation of epididymis on that side.

If you would have got infection; fever would have started at the same time and area may look red-hot, tender to touch.

Pain and bruise is common. Pain and bruises will come down in 2-4 days [will need 2 weeks to go completely].

But as I said before, if severity remains same / increases; consult your surgeon.

I hope I have clarified your doubt. In case of other doubts, feel free to revert back.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.