Varying palpitations with dizziness and light headed. Blood work is very normal, great cholesterol and increase sodium. Is it anxiety?

I have had minor hear palpitations in the past - sent to a cardiologist 4 yrs ago the day after my father died of a heart attack because of them but everything showed ok - told to watch but increase sodium. I am 39yrs old, 120lbs, healthy eater, great cholesterol (or so I am told), blood work is very normal as of a full blood screening a month ago. Run and own a successful taekwondo school with my husband.

My palpitations are varying: my heart beat stops for a few seconds and then starts up; My heart will speed up for a few seconds and then go back to normal. Light headed, dizzy and tight chested. Then I feel like my heart beat really slows down but when I check it, it's pretty normal for me (between 60-65 beats a minute resting, blood pressure normally around 119 / 70). This has been a regular occurrence on the past but the past few weeks have gotten worse - more often. The past few days, even more often (3 times today already) and seem to last longer - enough time for me to check it and actually feel the hear beat difference. (before by the time I checked my pulse, the palpitations / stopped beats had passed)

Is this anxiety? I've battled that for years but have pretty good control on it and am not overly stressed out right now, and it doesn't really feel the same but kind of does, if that makes sense.

I also feel like I have to have a bowel movement but can't - bowels aren't having spasms of any kind as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. Though you have mentioned that you have been investigated you have not mentioned whether a Holter Test was done recently. In Holter Test a continuous recording of your electrocardiogram is taken over a 24 hour period by strapping a device to your body. You are requested to record events when you feel the symptoms so that the result can be corelated. In case it has not been done then kindly request your doctor to arrange for the test. This will rule out any heart beat problems which may be giving you the feelings that you have described - palpitations/missed beats.

Regarding your bowel movement, I gather you mean that you feel constipated. If I am right then you shall find the link WWW.WWWW.WW helpful. By increasing fibre in your diet and fluids, you should feel better.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal