Varying heart beat, swollen ankles, throat tightness, constipation. Chest x-ray and EKG fine. What else could it be?

Cardiologist
Question
my heart has times where it beats very slow and then beats very fast and my ankles seem to be swelling. I have had a chest x-ray, echo cardiogram and EKG and they were fine. what else could it be? I also have tightness in my throat and have been constipated. Will those tests rule out heart issues? I am fit and it first started when I was running, I have not ran since XXXXXXX and started feeling these same issues at rest. I am also uninsured which keeps me from further testing.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 49 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
Your description of slow and rapid beats suggest one of the two diagnoses:
1. Very rapid beats and slow beats punctuating your daily heart rhythm a condition of natural pacemaker of your heart that is sinus node and the condition is called sick sinus or tachy XXXXXXX syndrome. If you could manage to show a general doctor not necessarily a cardiologist a drug can be prescribed after thorough examination and any important investigation which the doctor opts for.
2. Frequent supraventricular or ventricular ectopics the approach will be same as above but need for a medicine are less.
In both conditions you would require to undergo Holter examination. Best way to get investigation done without paying is get into some clinical trial you can always refuse to give a consent if you find you are not up to it but at least your diagnosis is known. The research Nurse will happily tell you all you want to know about your diagnosis and conventional treatment. Michigan state has a few medical research institutes.
The fact your EKG, echocardiogram and chest x XXXXXXX were normal makes diagnosis of heart failure unlikely this could be due to venous insufficiency or weight condition you may mention in follow up query height and weight. I would then suggest a OTC remedy. Good Luck.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Varying heart beat, swollen ankles, throat tightness, constipation. Chest x-ray and EKG fine. What else could it be? 11 minutes later
I am 5ft 9 and 146lbs but over the weekend I managed to pack on five lbs. I was going to the gym back in January and noticed my heart would pound and almost stop. I the proceeded to almost pass out. That's when I went in for the first tests. It then went away but I also had stopped going to the gym and since XXXXXXX quit running all together because it became to hard.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
The reason I asked your height and weight was I wanted to find your Body Mass Index The reading came out as "Your BMI is 21.6, indicating your weight is in the Normal weight range category for women of your height". So, you do not need to loose weight but going for brisk walk is a good idea say covering 3 miles in 45 minutes daily is sufficient exercise for you. It might help your heart beats also. Wear crape bandage from feet to just above ankles or socks are available so that swelling disappears this is not swelling of heart failure some one has mistaken as question was categorical as congestive heart failure. While sleeping keeping a pillow below the swollen feet will also help. You are otherwise doing fine. Regards.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW