Varicoceles in testicles, swelling, pain, alcohol makes it worse, embolization

Hi Doctor, I have had varicoceles in my testicles for years and it has really taken over my life. I have had treatment, however they keep reucurring. This swelling is bad and painful. I had a few alcoholic beers at the weekend & that also seems to make it worse. Could you please advise how I can get to the bottom of this ongoing problem and confirm if alcohol is also bad for the varicoceles? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

From the history it seems that you had varicocele and was treated by surgery and embolization therapy and have been recurred again.

Now the way ahead is to do angiographic studies to detect whether the blood vessels have been completely blocked after the embolization procedure, and if there are any leakages attempts to fix it can be undertaken.

In addition studies to detect the drainage of the gubernacular veins (veins that drain the testicular vein) so that the next procedure can be specifically performed to prevent a recurrance.

You might consult your urologist or a interventional radiologist - who can perform the above studies and determine the next step for treatment.

In addition, Drinking alcohol can reduce sperm count but does not affect varicoceles.

I hope this helps.
Follow-up: Varicoceles in testicles, swelling, pain, alcohol makes it worse, embolization 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your feedback - I will mention the above to my doctor/surgeon on tuesday when I go to visit him.

Will varicoceles always continue to return or if treated correctly should they not come back?

It was great to have my body feeling like it's old seld when treated in the past. However didn't last to long as the varicoceles returned each time. Lifes is very poor at the moment due to this ongoing problem. I just keep soldiering on each day and I keep saying to myself if it got fixed in the past surely something can be done again to help me.

The chances of recurrence of varicoceles is higher due to the complex nature of the venous drainage of the testes, and the no of blood vessels involved.

The presence of alternative shunting venous flows cause new vessels to open up after surgical closure or embolization of the major vessels involved earlier.

Care ful selection of the procedure after due investigation can help the chances of such recurrences low.

I hope this helps.