Variable blood pressure. Do I need to consult a doctor? Burning sensation around my chest.

Hi I am aged 38. Have a bp of 118/78 in the morning while checking on bed. This had gone up to 130/94 after a few hours this morning. Not much of physical activity this morning. Again I came back and laid down on the bed for 15 minutes the bp is back to 121/80. The pulse is in the normal range of 70 and 80. Do I need to consult a doctor. I also have a burning sensation aroundmy right chest once in a while.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Radhika 45 minutes later

You mentioned that your blood pressure this morning was 118/78 at rest and 130/94 after some (mild) activity. Your pulse is in the normal range of 70 to 80.

Blood pressure does vary physiologically with rest and posture. Moreover average blood pressure which is said to be normal is around 120 (systolic pressure) over 80 (diastolic pressure) and as you become older the systolic gets higher. So at the age of 38, I consider your readings as normal physiological variation.

Blood pressure higher than 140/90 at rest is significant and entails evaluation. So do not worry.

High fat diets, sedentary lifestyle, obesity, high stress levels apart from other medical illness raise our blood pressure prematurely. I like the fact that you are monitoring your blood pressures frequently. I would also suggest you to modify lifestyle - lower fatty food, salt, stress and exercise regularly (if you haven’t started yet) to keep hypertension and other lifestyle diseases at bay. There is no need for medication right now.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.