Values differ in different rubella tests. What does it mean? Terminate pregnancy?

My wife is 12 weeks pregnant now. At 8 weeks she got her Rubella Result as Toxoplasma 0.50 and Rubella IgM Serum as 1.87. No IgG was checked at that time. Reports for CMV and HSV were negative.
Then at 12 weeks she again got it checked and the reports are as IgG 21.47, IgM 2.30 and Avidity as 92.
Please advise if there is any risk to the baby and should we terminate the pregnancy as one doctor is saying that there is no problem and other doctor is strongly recommending to terminate it.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

The normal range of the values differs in different labs for many tests.If you can attach the lab report here or mention the normal range of the above tests I could be able to understand the reports better and advice you specifically.

Also do attach all other test reports done along with the above.

Anticipating your response.
Follow-up: Values differ in different rubella tests. What does it mean? Terminate pregnancy? 44 minutes later

Old (28 Apr) and Current Reports (16 May) uploaded.
Other tests such as CBC, HIV, Hepatitis B, VDRL, T3, T4, TSH, etc. are all normal and well within range.

Awaiting reply.

Thanks & Regards.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks for the reports.

IgM and IgG are antibodies (defence proteins) produced by WBCs (white blood cells in blood) during any infection.

Presence of IgM indicates that the infection is recent one but in case of Rubella IgM can be seen positive even for a year after getting infected.Hence there are chances where the infection could be a old one.If there are no clinical manifestations of rubella like fever rashes etc in mother in recent days then it adds to the fact that the infection is old one.In older infections the chances of it affecting the baby are less.

More reliable one is IgG as it confers immunity against the infection.IgG is the antibody which actually destroyed the virus and renders mother non infective by reducing the viral load.

Since the IgG levels are good it indicates that the mother is immune and the viral load reduced or terminated.

I conclude that since the IgG levels are good and if there are no clinical manifestations of rubella in mother there is very less risk in continuing the pregnancy.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Wishing you the best.