Vaginal yeast infection, bumps on inner labia, taken Monostat. Now have periods. Any clue?

Question
Last week my wife broke out with a vaginal yeast infection. She has had them a couple of times since we've been married (11 years). However, this time she broke out in a rash of bumps on her inner labia along with all the normal symptoms of the yeast infection. All the internet searches say vaginal yeast infections don't cause bumps and point to an STD. The bumps are not sores or cauliflower like. She went on a 3 day treatment of monostat and the symptoms seem to have disappeared, but the bumps have not. I should also say, my wife and I are monogamous and have been married for 11 years. She just got her period so she wants to wait till the end of it to go to her ob/gyn Any clue?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

You are saying that your wife's symptoms of vaginal yeast infection has subsided, but the rashes persist,right.

I would like to have some additional information.

.1. What was the color of vaginal discharge at the time of vaginal infection? Clear, curdy white, grey, or yellowish? Was it frothy?
2. Quantity of the discharge? Was the amount of discharge minimal or copious?
3. Any history of associated fever or burning micturition?
4. Can you describe the smell? Does it have a fishy odour?
5. Any history of pruritis(itching) /burning sensation at the vagina?
6. Any history of associated lower abdominal pain?
7. Any history of painful intercourse (dyspareunia) or post coital bleeding?
8. Is your wife a diabetic?
9.Any blisters on the vagina or many well defined raised red bumps?

The possibilities with the history you have provided could be

1.Allergy
2. STD ( a little less common as both of you are in a monogamous relationship)
3.Rash could be due to the itching she had along with the vaginal infection.

Please visit the gynaecologist once your wife's period is over. He/She might do a thorough physical and local examination and send for the necessary investigations. The doc might also advise to get a Pap smear test done.

In the meantime, I would suggest the following.

1. Wear only 100% COTTON panties ( It helps the skin to breathe)

2. Use mild detergents to wash undergarments(u.g), or make sure the soap is fully rinsed out from the undergarments. Avoid using comfort(fabric softeners) on u.g.
Probably the rash might even be due to the detergent left behind on the u.g or due to allergy to the comfort.

3.Follow good perineal hygiene. Always keep the vaginal and perineal area clean and dry. Avoid vaginal douching.

4.Avoid using cosmetic creams and talcum powder near the vaginal area.

5.Abstain from having intercourse for at least 1-2 weeks, till she gets better.

6.Encourage her to drink plenty of fluids , cranberry juice etc.

7.Avoid using tampons during this period, preferrably use sanitary napkins.

Hope this helps.

Awaiting your reply,

Have a great day :)

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Vaginal yeast infection, bumps on inner labia, taken Monostat. Now have periods. Any clue? 6 hours later
Thank you DR.

Here is the answers to your questions:

1.1. What was the color of vaginal discharge at the time of vaginal infection? Clear, curdy white, grey, or yellowish? Was it frothy?

Curdy white

It was significant discharge. Again, she's had a yeast infection before and everything was the same except for the rash..

NO

It did have a smell but I dont know how to describe it.

no

no

no

8. Is your wife a diabetic?
no

no blisters... Just those bumps that appear as the same caller as the skin. TO me they look almost like chicken skin.

I hope that helps. Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing what you think it may be. Also

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 6 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks for the reply.

1.Probably it is nothing to worry about. It might go off on its own.

2.After reading the details you have provided (lesions are the same color as skin), Molluscum contagiosum is yet another possibility.
Molluscum contagiosum is a benign, viral disease of the skin and mucous membranes caused by a poxvirus .It can be transmitted sexually or non sexually, direct contact.

3.The other differential diagnosis remains the same: STI (herpes) etc , Allergy to soap/detergent/fabric softener etc.

Kindly get back to me if you have any further queries.

Please follow the measures I had suggested in the previous mail.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Vaginal yeast infection, bumps on inner labia, taken Monostat. Now have periods. Any clue? 4 hours later
Thank you Dr.

I have uploaded a pic I was hoping you could take a look at. I uploaded it in the report section. I hope it works. Again, these were discovered as a result of a typical yeast infection. My wife says the day after the monstat treatment their was yellowish discharge. That's the only addition I would make to the above questions.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later
queries you might have. If you are satisfied with the answer,kindly accept the answer. Any reHi Viker,

Thanks for uploading the picture.

One possibility is that these lesions might have been there earlier and the yeast infection made you draw your attention towards it.It could be Vestibular papillomatosis, something that has always been there and no treatment is required for that.

Another possibility is Molluscum contagiosum or Genital Herpes after seeing the picture. Molluscum contagiosum which as I said is a benign viral disease affecting the skin and mucous membrane caused by pox virus.It can spread from person to person.

I would encourage your wife to visit a gynaecologist once her periods are over.the doc might stain the lesions with 5% acetic acid,
1.if there is no whitening it could be vestibular papillomatosis;
2.if whitening appears, it could be molluscum contagiosum or other possibilities.

I would like to know how it goes with the gynaecologist and the diagnosis.
My email Id is YYYY@YYYY

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any furtherqueries you might have.
Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan.