Vaginal ultrasound showed trace of fluid within the pelvis. What are the risks?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi. recently i had an intraluminal vaginal. i think vaginal ultrasound! and the exam says i have trace of fluid within the pelvis? what does it mean? is it healthy to have fluid there? and i have been having a lot of pain!
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Finding some amount of fluid in the pelvis during ultrasound is normal.
It can be seen in postovulatory period when the follicle ruptures.

But if the amount of fluid is is more or if it is associated with symptoms like pain abdomen etc there is possibility of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Which is the infection of uterus and/or fallopian tubes and ovaries.
The other symptoms of PID are pain during intercourse or urination, vaginal discharge, irregular periods, fever etc.

Endometriosis is a condition in which endometrial tissue grows outside the uterus.
This can also presents with pain abdomen and fluid in pelvis.

So better to get evaluated in these aspects and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Vaginal ultrasound showed trace of fluid within the pelvis. What are the risks? 1 hour later
they don't see any pelvic disease! its like a tightening sensation. its very painful! i did the papsmear! it was fine! thats the only thing they found! n the doctor it could be related with endometriosis! but the only option is surgery. a friend had the surgery. she feels more pain than ever! i did have a cyst though on my right side but it is not there anymore, the physician assistant says! Can an vaginal ultrasound show everything that is wrong, anything that concerns gynocology! i mean the vaginal tract! i feel pain when i urinate. but they dont see any Uti. and i don't know if its because im not drinking enough water!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later

Sometimes pelvic inflammatory disease may not show any findings in ultrasound except fluid in pelvis.
Pain during urination can be seen when there is less fluid intake, so better to drink at least 3 liters of water per day.
Better to take one course of systemic antibiotics with your doctor's advice which can cure PID and UTI.
Usually mild endometrioisis can be treated with medicines.
So if your doctor is suspecting endometriosis, you discuss with her regarding treatment with medicines.
Usually pelvic structures can be visualized more clearly in vaginal ultrasound than abdominal ultrasound.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Vaginal ultrasound showed trace of fluid within the pelvis. What are the risks? 2 days later
In october, it started as a severe pain inside the left side of my vagina. And after that, i felt a severe pain around my waist. Lower back, all around my waist! i couldn't bend even to clip my toenails. And then my spine started bothering me. while i was driving, i started being real dizzy. i saw the sky spinning around with me. i had to lay flat in the car. when i went to the emergency, they found out i was severely anemia. The gyn phisician assistant thinks it is sciatica! I don't think so! I think it is something much more serious than that! when i have my period, i feel intense, unbearable pain in my lower right side of my abdomen. When it happens, i screamed to the top of my lung. I have to bend over completely and have an oreo shape on my bed because that is the only way i could suppress the excruciating pain. It is as if they are putting knife there to dig something or scissors without anesthesia! could u tell me what you think of all this? I would really appreciate it! I thank you in advance.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later

The possibilities are:

Pelvic endometriosis: in which case severe pain can be felt in the pelvis due to growth of endometrial tissue on pelvic organs.
This severe pain can be felt especially during menstruation due to active endometrial tissue shedding menstrual blood into the pelvis.
Anemia may be responsible for dizziness etc.

Stones in the renal system can be one possibility. In this condition also severe pain can be felt in the abdomen which can radiate to pelvis.

Better to start treatment for endometriosis, if your doctor wants further tests you can undergo laparoscopy by which XXXXXXX structures can be directly visualized and treatment can also be given.