Vaginal thrush, delayed period, itching, uncomfortable sex, burning

ENT Specialist
Hi i am 35 year old who is suffering from vigina trash before i get my period taht is nearly every 3 to 4 week of my period. I feel very ichy right now and every time i have sxe i feel uncomfortable and also very burning can you tellwhat can i do i have been to the doctor everytime i get this
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later

First of all I would like to discuss regarding Vaginal yeast infection or Vaginal thrush?

The Vaginal yeast infection is the irritation of the vulva and the vagina. The underlying cause of this infection is the overgrowth of the yeast or fungus Candida.

Although this fungus is normally found only within the vaginal area, an overgrowth can cause potential harm.

Vaginal yeast infection occurs very commonly. Of all the women throughout the world, around 75 percent of them are infected with this at one time or another.

What people should be aware of is that every woman is under the risk of getting this infection. This is more so if one is: under a lot of stress, lacks the proper amount of sleep; has a scanty diet or one that includes too much sugar intake; pregnant and sick; taking pills for birth control; under heavy antibiotics; or has diseases like HIV and diabetes.

Symptoms, in this condition---

-- A strange dense, scentless, milky like vaginal discharge
-- Undetermined hurt during sexual intercourse, some slight blood spotting.
-- Uncontrolled itchiness and a burning feeling in the vagina and the skin rounding the vagina (vulva).
-- Undetermined puffiness of the vulva.
-- An inflamed burning sensation during urination

Now let me tell you, How can vaginal yeast infection be treated?

Vaginal yeast infections can be treated and cured with the use of certain anti-fungal medicines that can come in many forms like suppositories inserted in the vagina, ointments, tablets and creams.

The most popular medications are Terconazole, Tioconazole, Nystatin, Miconazole, Clotimazole and Butoconazole.

Another known medication is Fluconazole and it can be taken per dosage as prescribed by a doctor.

Some other advices, you should follow---

1- Self-Medication may Worsen the Infection - so first consult a Gynaecologist.

2- Change tampons and pads frequently during periods.

3- Avoid wearing tight clothes and undergarments that are made from synthetic fibers. Use cotton instead.

4- And take off exercise clothes and wet swimsuits as quickly as possible.

5- Contrary to popular belief, it is very rare for one to contract vaginal yeast infection through sexual activity. It is when one's immune system is weakened that a woman becomes highly susceptible to this infection.

Vaginal yeast infection is a condition that can be treated with proper medication and good hygiene practices.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for future follow ups if any.