Vaginal swelling, painful after sex. Is it related to overdue periods? What can I do about this?

Hi, I am writing you from remote Mexico - the nearest gynecologist works about 300 kms away from where I live, and only works a few days a week, so please help me here as well as you possibly can.

Attached is a picture showing significant swelling on the left side in my vagina. It's about the size of a big grape, and was bigger and even more visible shortly after intercourse, and it was somewhat painful too, which is why i decided to have a look. It's now two days later, and see today’s picture please. I can tell you I am afraid. I’ve never had this before nor was I aware of any problem. Please tell me what this is, what I can do about this and make it go away, and is this in any way potentially related to not having had my period and i'm about 8-10 days overdue? I am 38, 1.64 metres, and probably weigh about 54 kgs.
Please advice asap? I have no pain, but it feels full in between my legs, and I want to get rid off it and make love again.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
After seeing the images provided, it is evident that the swelling on your labia is in no way related to your overdue periods.
This kind of a swelling can happen due to-
1. Bartholin's Cyst - Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva). Surgical removal or drainage of the cyst under the cover of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs is needed for treatment.

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

2. Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.

I hope this answers your questions effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.