Vaginal sonogram showed shadow on it. Suspected for fibroid cyst. Chance of uterine cancer?

my wife's dr said her vaginal sonogram came back with a shadow on it. It was a hyuperechoic area that might be a calcified fibroid cyst the dr. said. Everything else checked out fine in the exam. My wife had an ovary that ruptured and that is what brought her in to the dr's office. We are scheduled to go back for another sonogram on wife is very worried. Everthing I read points to mostly benign on the calcified fibroid, but I guess there is still a chance of uterine cancer?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

You are correct in assuming that the most likely contributing factor is a butt nine type of condition. If there is calcium noted in some type of uterine cyst or fibroid this is something that is not malignant and will not usually cause any significant problem.

I agree with obtaining a repeat ultrasound. It might be reasonable for a gynecologist to consider either a biopsy or a dilation and curettage procedure if there is anything on the repeat ultrasound which looks suspicious.

Right now I do not see any major reason to worry. I would obtain a repeat ultrasound is scheduled. If you would like to share the results of that study with me I would be happy to discuss that with you as well.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert