Vaginal sex. ELISA test negative. Is there risk of HIV?

Question
Hi Doctor,
on 25/5/2012, i had protected vaginal sex with my girlfriend for two times.
on 15/2/2012, my girlfriend had ECLIA/ Roche Diagnostics test with negative result, also on 28/5/2012
my girlfrien had ECLIA test with negative result.
does it mean i have little chance of being infected?
so ECLIA test told that the very day when i was exposed, my girlfriend is HIV-free. right?
BIG THANKS FROM MY HEART!

Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As you had only protected vaginal sex, there is no chance of transmission of HIV to you, due to two times protected sex you had on 25th May.

HIV test is false negative during window period, but HIV infected person can transmit infection during this period.

Negative test reports indicate that most probably she was not infected on 15/02/12, thus doesn't have much value. Some persons may take more time to develop antibodies. Thus if her report is negative after 25/11/2012 also, then you can become sure that she was not infected on 25/05/2012.

As you had only protected sex, test is not required.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Vaginal sex. ELISA test negative. Is there risk of HIV? 18 minutes later
Dear Dr, XXXXXXX

Thank you for this information, did you advise me to make another test for my girlfriend?

Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 30 minutes later

Welcome again,

Most people develop a detectable antibodies approximately 30 days after infection with HIV, but it can take 3 weeks to 6 months.

Thus if you want to become sure that she was not infected with HIV on 25/05/2012, get her tested on 25/08/12 and 25/11/2012.

As you are performing only protected sex, you need not to be worried.

Please keep in mind that oral sex is not protected.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Vaginal sex. ELISA test negative. Is there risk of HIV? 37 minutes later
Dear Sir,
Thank you for this information, and I will go ahead for another test because she is my girlfriend and we are leaving together
By the way you inform me that Oral sex is not protected!!!!!What do mean?

Best regards

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 49 minutes later

Welcome again,

Oral sex is not protected means, an infected person can also transmit HIV infection through this route.

If a female is performing oral sex, she can get infection from infected partner.

Similarly if a man is performing, he can get it from infected partner.

If both of you are faithful with one another, chances of any one getting infected with STD &/or HIV become negligible.

With good wishes,