Vaginal rubbing with cut finger. Are there chances of HIV or STD?

Rubbed vagina with cut finger she was wet, didnt go into vagina just rubbed it for a couple minutes, chances of HIV or stds. Dont think finger was actively bleeding but was e
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 6 hours later

thanks for writing in.

The act you described would be classified as low risk. However, as there was a skin breach, there could have been a possible fluid contamination.

The risk of acquiring HIV or STI is only theoretical and hence very very low. (less than 1 in 0000)

When did this happen? Is the girl known to you?

The best way forward is to get an HIV test done (ELISA and p24 antigen tests), just to be doubly sure.

I don't think you should be too worried. Nevertheless, go ahead and get yourself tested.

I hope I have answered your query.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Follow-up: Vaginal rubbing with cut finger. Are there chances of HIV or STD? 3 hours later
Happened on friday, no do not know this girl. My largest concern would be the HIV transmission. Getting tested would this be for more of peace of mind?

Also still very low risk with the cut? Was a little confused
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 22 hours later
Yes, Still very low even with the cut (as it was not a fresh bleeding cut).

SO this is not high risk.

Even if we do decide for post exposure prophylaxis (though it is not recommended), the time lag that has already been there is too much for PEP to be effective.

The test will not only be for peace for mind, if we do detect something (which is very very very unlikely, we can be alert for the future.)