Ask a Urologist   »  

Vaginal pain, trouble passing urine, foul smell in urine. urine sample shows no infection. Chances of urinary tract infection ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello, I am 19 Female,
Last night out of no where I had sharp pain very sharp pain down below I had and still have trouble passing urine, I sent a sample to my GP who said there was no infection there but the pain is still very bad I have taking the painkillers I have been prescribed Could it be a UTI what should I do?? Please help I am scared when I pass urine its not much and smells and I am crying as it hurts so much. and its a small amount,
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
A sharp sudden pain in the urinary tract without any detectable infection in the urine is most likely to be due to a calculus in the urinary tract. If it would have been UTI, plenty of pus cells would have been detected in your urine sample.

The other cause of feeling pain while passing the urine might be due to more acidic nature of the urine.
To prevent this, take more and more fluids per day.
Avoid acidic fruit juices like lime juice, orange juice, etc.
Plenty of cranberry juice will help in reducing the symptoms.
Examine the external genital area carefully for any injury and rashes.
If the symptoms do not improve you need to get your ultrasound scan done to find out any possible renal or ureteric calculus.
You need to consult your physician for prescription of adequate urinary antispasmodics and necessary investigations. Doing a hot fomentation on the lower abdomen might relieve your pain for some time.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Vaginal pain, trouble passing urine, foul smell in urine. urine sample shows no infection. Chances of urinary tract infection ? 8 hours later
Hello, My symptoms have continued on to day I have been able to pass urine but not much, Why would I feel I need to go to the bathroom all the time even if I have been although it wasn't much?

Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Increased frequency of urination is seen in urinary infection and in calculus due to irritation of bladder mucosa.
You need to get yourself investigated to find out the cause and get some urinary bladder anti spasmodics prescribed to get relief from this symptom of urinary frequency.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wish you good health.

Regards.