Vaginal itching, heavy discharge with foul smell. Recently treated for thrush. Cancer sign?

Question
Hi I am 32 had a smear test end of feb and all ok. I recently have been getting itching down below heavy discharge white/yellow and smelly just completed a marathon and up until then running a lot so put down to that! Treated myself for thrush but took a while to heal and were marked cuts down there!! Itching got worse and noticed inside labia minora extremely white almost like plaque and smelly does not hurt on urination or sex just aware of an itch!! Doctor started me on steroid cream but so scared its cancer as read so much on it. I suffer with major anxiety problems bipolar and have thyroid issues. Currently on 50mg thyroxine daily help would be appreciated
I think surely a smear test on examination would pick up abnormalities down there. I am a midwife and always check down there prior to examination.
I can't stop thinking about it.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hello, you have a really bad vaginal infection. Its a combination of yeast and bacterial vaginosis. You will need oral as well as topical antibiotics. Use canestan cream for local application. Its a combination of steroid and antifungal. Along with that you should start some probiotics. Oral metronidazole and clindamycin course will also be needed. You have foul smelling discharge so it indicates severe infection. The plaque you saw encrusted discharge and its not a good sign. First thing to do, is treat the infection. Your pap was clear so thats a good sign. After the infection resolves,repeat the pap after 3wks.

Follow-up: Vaginal itching, heavy discharge with foul smell. Recently treated for thrush. Cancer sign? 6 minutes later
So you feel it's a severe infection and I should stop worrying and letting my anxiety issues take over? The doctor mentioned lichen scelorses but its not symptomatic of discharge and smell?? I can get metronidazole from work and commence that should I buy canned ten or continue on colobestol steroid cream?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
Yes,i think you should take a step at a time. No need to worry yet. Lichen usually occurs on skin area rather than mucosa. I would like to treat the infection first. Take metro thribe a day for 7days. Canestan would a better choice. Its combo of hydrocortisone and clotrimazole. BV also could occur from use of soap, hygine products so avoid them. Start probiotics also.

Follow-up: Vaginal itching, heavy discharge with foul smell. Recently treated for thrush. Cancer sign? 9 minutes later
I'm unable to see doctor for abx till Tuesday so any advice most welcome I can get cannestan from counter anything else you recommend?
I'm just very conscious of smell and wetness constantly!! It's horrible it's become worse since my marathon end of April!! It's like a pressure feeling down below and horrible smell then inside labia minora white mess basically :0( it's making me so down and worried xx
What pro biotics can I buy? Xx

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
If you can get the metro from work, then start on it. You should be able to get the cream and the probiotics otc. Keep the area clean. Wash with only water often. Change underwear daily. Dont use perfumed products in the genital area.

Follow-up: Vaginal itching, heavy discharge with foul smell. Recently treated for thrush. Cancer sign? 5 minutes later
I'm becoming symptomatic of that also!! Frequency no pain!! Ill have a look xx

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 0 minute later
See if you can get Ecoflora. If not, ask the pharmacist to give you a similar combination. It may be marketed under other names. Severe infections can lead to UTI.So drink water and keep clean.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 minutes later
Get a urine culture if symptoms progress.

Follow-up: Vaginal itching, heavy discharge with foul smell. Recently treated for thrush. Cancer sign? 16 minutes later
Well my local pharmacist had no idea in regard to Eco flora just showed me different vitamins as we're in uk any idea what I can buy or name for it?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 18 minutes later
In the uk, its marketed under the name Florajen probiotics / Florafemme.