Vaginal itching, disappers when periods happen, no discharge

i have I been having external vaginal itching for a few weeks, it comes and goes.i No discharge, and goes away when
my period comes. I am 46
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The itching of external vagina can be due to allergy to some detergents or fabrics, Vaginitis or yeast infection or prolonged stress and poor hygiene. Another possible reason can be vaginal dryness in the perimenopausal age group. The exact diagnosis can only be made after a detailed examination.

In most of these cases local 1% hydrocortisone gel along with a local antiseptic gel are enough to get relief. In case of vaginal dryness, estrogen based creams are helpful after consulting with your gynecologist.

To prevent and treat this prolonged itching:

1. Avoid colored or perfumed toilet tissue and bubble bath.

2. Avoid feminine hygiene sprays and douches.

3. Change out of wet clothing, especially wet bathing suits or exercise clothing, as soon as possible.

4. Cleanse the area by wiping or washing from front to back (vagina to anus) after urinating or having a bowel movement.

5. Eat yogurt with live cultures or take Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets when using antibiotics. Check with your doctor.

6. Keep your genital area clean and dry. Use plain, unscented soap.

7. Lose weight if you are overweight.

8. Wear cotton panties or pantyhose with a cotton crotch. Avoid panties made from synthetic materials.

9. Get your fasting blood sugar checked to rule out Diabetes.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.