Vaginal irritation,red,swollen,fatigue,painful intercourse,dizziness

My vaginal area is irritated, red and slightly swollen,Some days it seems like it's not so bad, but if its messed with it seems to hurt or be even more bothersom, My partner and I haven't been able to have sex in a couple weeks without it bothering me. only with the same partner as I have and we both negative for anything, I just dont know what it is. or if itll go away on it's own. I also have been feeling super tired all the time, and once in awhile i feel dizzy.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 54 minutes later

Do you experience fever along with the above symptoms?

Your history clearly states that you are sexually active and might have vaginal inflammation and one of the reasons to be local infection.

Vaginal infection can be caused by varied organisms.

Few are transmitted sexually like Trichomonia, Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea.

You need to consult a gynecologist and your vagina needs to be examined with a speculum and sample of your vaginal secretions need to be tested.

It is local examination and smears taken from the vagina which is mandatory, for your condition to be diagnosed easily and treated accordingly.

Vaginal infection presents with varied symptoms like redness, itching, pain during inter course, bleeding after intercourse, pain abdomen, redness in the vagina, and unusual vaginal discharge.

The discharge color and odour varies with the type of organism.

In trichomoniasis patient will have yellowish-green, fishy smelling and frothy discharge .

The discharge is curdy in case of candidiasis.

Bacterial vaginosis is the most common form of vaginal infection in women of child bearing age.

Bacterial vaginosis is caused when bacteria living naturally in the vagina is overgrown leading to infection.

The precipitating factors for this being use of perfumed soaps or feminine hygiene sprays and any intrauterine devices.

Usage of above products disturbs the normal flora of vagina, which is maintained by its high acidic nature.

These products lower the acidity and lead to overgrowth of normal resident vaginal flora leading to infection.

Few preventive steps to be followed to prevent vaginal infections like thrush or bacterial vaginosis include:

- Wearing cotton pants and changing them daily.

- Not to use perfumed soaps or feminine hygiene sprays.

- Not to use vaginal douches.

- Not to use tight under garments.

So your condition is fully treatable.

You will have to take a course of antibiotic based on the type of organism after being examined.

Make your sexual life fruitful by being treated as fast as possible.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Vaginal irritation,red,swollen,fatigue,painful intercourse,dizziness 1 hour later
No, I do not and have not had any fevers with my symptons, Just the red/ irritation etc.. . I shall make a doctor appointment and get this taken care of.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 13 hours later

Nice to see you again.

You need not have fever always.

Any one of the symptoms is sufficient.

Redness and irritation and inconvinience dueing intercourse suggest that you have a vaginal infection.

Kindly consult a gynecologist without fail.

since it needs local examination and later decision as what is the type of infection needs to be assessed and treated accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.