Vaginal hysterectomy,haemetoma,bleeding,ovarian cysts,bloating,endometriosis,fibroids

General Surgeon
I had a vaginal hysterectomy 6 years ago with ovaries left in. I had a haemetoma which ruptured and bleed through the vaginal stitches 4 weeks post surgery and was readmitted to hospital, put onto strong antibiotics. Recently I have been diagnosed with ovarian cysts-complex and simple on both ovaries. I experience a dragging type pain and bloating with discomfort when urinating and passing stools. I am scheduled for the ovaries to be removed shortly laproscopically. Would the haematoma have caused adhesions adding to the pain within the pelvic region? I did have endometriosis, fibroids. I have had blood tests for ovarian cancer and they were clear. I am 50 years old.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later

Post vaginal hysterectomy bleeding is known in few percentage of patients. It can occur immediately after operation known as primary bleeding or 4-5 days after hysterectomy known as reactionary bleeding(most commonly due to infection) or weeks after hysterectomy known as secondary hemorrhage.

As bleeding was properly controlled & treated. Post hematoma some adhesion can occur but they don`t trouble after six years.

Six years after hysterectomy now you have simple ovarian cyst complex. Any pelvic mass including ovarian cyst can cause dragging pain & dysuria or discomfort during urination or defecation. So sign & symptoms you are facing is due to ovarian cyst and not due to adhesion.

Endometriosis (not fibroid) can cause adhesion & pain both even after hysterectomy in the pelvic region.

As all the investigations for ovarian cancer are negative and opting for laparoscopic removal of the ovarian cyst is a good decision and your doctor will send the samples after surgery for histopathological examination which would confirm the nature of the cyst and the treatment would follow accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.
Follow-up: Vaginal hysterectomy,haemetoma,bleeding,ovarian cysts,bloating,endometriosis,fibroids 21 hours later
Thank you very much for your answer. I feel more confident that the dragging niggly pains I get are associated with endometriosis and the ovarian cysts. Once this is all removed will I experience improved general health and more stable hormonal reactions? At present I get acne like breakouts and the bloating and sore breast almost cyclical in nature.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 6 hours later

Nice to hear from you again

Removal of ovarian cyst along with both ovaries and endometriosis is going to give you relief from sign & symptoms you are facing at present.
Following bilateral oophrectomy some hormonal changes are going to occur in you.

Symptoms like acne breakouts, bloating and sore breast may also disappear and your general health may also improve.

But endometriosis has some chance of reccurence.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction.

Wish you speedy recovery.