Vaginal hysterectomy, metronidazole 2 times a day. Three tablets a day okay to take ?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy & about a week 1/2 later I noticed discharge with a slight odor. My doctor prescribed metronidazole 500 mg to be taken 2x a day for 7 days. Can I take it 3 times a day instead?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later

A vaginal discharge with an odor is suggestive of an infection which in most of the cases is fungal and anaerobic if it is associated with a foul smell.

Metronidazole relieves the anaerobic infection and can be taken thrice in a day for relief. There is no harm in it.

You can also follow some simple measures like -

1.Avoid irritation of the genital organs caused by various factors such as dirt, soiled under garments, intestinal worms and excessive mental stimulation of sex or masturbation.

2. One of the things you can add to your daily diet is a banana that is dipped in clarified butter or ghee. This should be eaten with breakfast and lunch.

3. Increase your intake of cranberry juice. This juice has quite a number of properties that are good for women and drinking this juice helps with the treatment of vaginal discharge.

4.You might have to take antifungal drugs orally along with these remedies to get relief.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.