Vaginal dryness and itching. Swab test confirmed no infection or thrush. Underlying cause?

For the last 6 days I have had an irritable vagina. At first it was just dry but in the last 3-4 days, it was itchy, burning, slightly swollen and had caused me great discomfort. I visited a gynae and he did a swab and confirmed that I have no infection or thrush. 2 days later, I was still experiencing great discomfort and went to the emergency room. I was referred to the gynae dept and they also confirmed that I have no infection or thrush. However they suggested I take canestan for relief. I inserted the canestan and used the cream on the outside and it worsened everything. The only think that helps for a short time is a sitz bath with olive oil. I am generally in excellent health and a breastfeeding mum. I rarely have sexual intercourse. At the hospital, I was informed that I have a cyst in my ovaries with blood in it. I was asked to monitor it but told that it is not serious.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 16 hours later
Brief Answer: local hygiene, cotton undergarments & estrogen crm Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to healthcare Magic! It seems you have got vaginitis of noninfectious cause but before that you need to have it proven with negative culture of vaginal swab and urine culture and routine examination. Your vaginal mucosa is thin and vulnerable and the vaginal pH may be on alkaline side, all due to lack of female sex hormones whixh remain suppressed due to exceas of prolactin the lactation hormone. You should use water based jelly KY jelly liberally at the time of intercourse to protect the vaginal mucosal injury and to break the cycle of traumatic content in this. You can apply local estrogen cream to strenghten mucosa and improve the pH. Importance of local hygiene goes withot saying. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!