Vaginal dryness after using birth control medication for a long period. Solution?

I am 22 years old on birth control for sometime now years. I have been experiencing a lot of vaginal dryness what should I do?
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
It is important to diagnose the cause of the vaginal dryness. Usually it occurs due to decreased estrogen production in the body.You can get the estrogen levels checked to find out if thats the cause.If so,then application of topical estrogen in the form of gel,cream tablets etc will help relieve the dryness.On the other hand,if hormone levels are normal,then use a lubricant to relieve the dryness.There may some other unrelated causes also that can be investigated later of symptoms dont recede.