Vaginal burning and itching, pain and discomfort during intercourse. Had lymphoma and early menopause.

Infertility Specialist
I have a feeling of burning and itching in and around my vagina .I also have pain and discomfort during intercourse in the last 4 weeks .I went through lymphoma cancer last year and as a rezult of chemotherapy I had early menopouse
And ofcourse could be infection (I read and understand the reasons why it is easier to get infection after menopouse)but I am scared that it is not some form of cancer again.Last year doctors thought I have ovarian cancer as they saw enlarged lymh nodes around my ovary but after biopsy we found out it was Non Hodkings Lymphoma stage 3/4 that has spread around ovaries and I did not even had any pain or discomfort at all I thought I was very healthy person .I had 6 chemo and all is ok now .What would be the best method of checking is it something in my ovaries ,ext like ultrasound or ctscan.I had CTScan 4 month ago and everything was ok.Thanks
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your apprehensions. But I am happy that you are taking good care and appropriate followup treatment for your suspected cancer. Following is my advice:

1) Your tests and follow up done by your doctor (including CT Scan) is good enough to detect cancer of ovary. So I don't think you have ovarian cancer.

2) There are some blood tests for different types of cancer (example: CA-125) for different types of ovarian cancer. If there was any suspicion, your doctor can advice these. But there is no suspicion by your doctor. Hence no need of it.

3) Burning and itching around vagina is due to either infection or just dryness which sets in after menopause. For infection you can use any antifungal ointment after being examined by your doctor to know what type of infection it could be.

4) Pain during sex is because of dryness in vagina which happens after menopause due to reduction of a hormone called estrogen. Estrogen deficiency leads to dry vagina and pain during intercourse. So please apply vaginal lubricant gel during intercourse or use estrogen creams which can be prescribed by your doctor, as I cannot give prescriptions online without examining.

Hope I have answered your queries in detail. Please accept my answer if you have no more questions.