Vaginal bleeding after a fall on tailbone down stairs, pain in bottom of stomach, coccyx pain. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on my tailbone falling down the stairs 3 days ago and have had unexpected vaginal bleeding since ? what could be the cause for this ?also when I sit down my coccyx hurts but there's a pain right at the bottom off my stomach.
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 27 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

1. It seems you have sustained an injury or fracture of your coccyx bone leading to pain at the site. This condition is called coccydynia. Pain at the bottom of your stomach ( which could be possibly pelvic pain) can be due to collection of hematoma or associated simple fall is never associated with bleeding per vaginum or per rectum unless there is some tumour / growth or some kind of fibrous tissue attached to the coccyx and pelvic structures.
3. Since the bleeding has been present for nearly 3 days, it is advisable to go to the ER department and get yourself examined completely by gynaecologist and orthopaedician and get the relevant investigations like a CT scan of the pelvis done.

Get well soon,